Thursday, January 7, 2010

Checklist. The Plan.

Planning
A lot of good photographs are the outcome of good planning. That does not exclude me. From my experience, the actual act of photographing (or clicking the shutter) is just around 10 percent of the whole photography process. The rest of the percentage falls into planning, apart from the production and post-production. In the creative industry, you'll hear the term "Pre-Production". This is actually what happens before the actual shoot.

Now that I know what I'll be shooting. Let's make a plan to execute this week's challenge. Let's just call it what it is, a "To-Do List"

To-Do (Saturday, 9-JAN-2010)
  1. Go to Subang Hi Tech industrial area and look for free timber pallets
  2. After getting pallets, go to Giant, Tesco or Carrefour to get props ().

To Get: Props
  1. Clean cloth napkin, preferably with less patterns or colours
  2. Fork and knife (got it)
  3. Timber planks (white, cos I'm not gonna follow the exact green timber plank)
  4. Timber planks (brown or natural colour)
  5. White emulsion paint for the planks
  6. Paint brush
  7. Cheap wine glass x 1 unit (will check at Carrefour or Giant) (got it RM9.89 at Jusco)
  8. Stone mortar (batu lesung) (got it)
  9. Small white plate for pasta. Maybe not, I'll probably substitute this with my white bowl at the house, if the cost is too much. (got it RM11.90 at Jusco)
To Get: Food Ingredients
  1. Pasta (spaghetti, maybe San Remo or the cheapest one if I need to buy new) (got it, some extra uncooked left overs in the kitchen)
  2. Prawn (a small handfull, maybe about 100g or 200g)
  3. Any leafy vegetable, nothing specific. I'll slice them into thin stripes
  4. Lime
  5. Green Cili Padi
  6. Dried prawn (udang kering)
  7. Shalots
  8. No idea what to use as the sauce as seen in the stone mortar. Maybe I'll mix some mayo and corn flour to make it look like the reference photo.
Hmm...what else did I miss? Looks too simple. Maybe it is. We'll see.

    6 comments:

    Ariff Lokman said...

    salam...brader Ariff Azhar hope that you'll achive all your goals....all the best...insyaallah..

    azharariff said...

    Thanks for your support i.Ariff. Best wishes to you too.

    Anonymous said...

    Salam Ariff, tht sounds like a great plan and i like it when a person is so organized like you. Btw do u conduct classes for food photography. Im so interested to take up. I have added u in my FB, hopefully u will respond. Thank you.

    P/s : your food photos are just gorgeous. Everything looks perfect.

    azharariff said...

    Hello aquadolpharius,

    Thanks for your comment. I do conduct classes for food photography. Till this date I've conducted 12 Simple Food Photography Workshops since 2007.

    I've got some postings on the previous food photography workshops over at my other blog at http://azharariff.blogspot.com if you'd like to read up.

    I've added all FB requests, but unfortunately I have no idea which FB name u used in the request. Just message me in FB if you got any questions.

    Cheers!

    [siti] said...

    for the sauce as seen in the stone mortar, mayo and corn flour sound so thick. maybe u can try to mix icing sugar with hot water and yellow food colouring. just an idea.

    but i think it's ground ginger. maybe.

    azharariff said...

    Hi Siti,

    We found the substitute for the prawn sauce in the stone mortar. It's F&N sweetened creamer. The colour and viscosity is just right. Thanks for the idea.

    Post a Comment